Position: Associate Pastor
(Parish Associate if not ordained)
The Associate Pastor will focus on fostering the spiritual life of the children, youth and young adults of our congregation and in the wider community. The position is ¾ to full-time, as negotiated, and reports to the Senior Pastor.
• Oversee the Faith Formation program for children (birth- 12th grade).
• Plan, coordinate and lead service-based Senior and Junior High youth groups, including a summer Mission Trip for the Senior High group.
• Plan and implement annual Vacation Bible School, drawing on the youth of the church to serve as leaders.
• Plan and run separate monthly programs with primary and middle school aged kids, seeking to nurture their spiritual growth.
• Create and lead ministry programs and studies that resonate with the college-aged and young adult community.
• Team with existing staff to increase and enhance the church’s social media and internet presence and ministry.
• Collaborate in leading the Confirmation Program in partnership with the Senior Pastor and provide leadership for confirmands, mentors and parents beyond the classroom.
• Oversee the Acolyte program and Advent candle lighters and singers.
• Oversee and enforce the church’s Safe Church Policy.
• Be the pastoral staff member to the Board of Christian Education and possibly one other Board.
• Participate regularly in worship leadership both Sunday mornings and other worship times.
• Enact creative outreach efforts to persons who are spiritual but not churched.
Other Possible Functions (if mutually agreeable):
• Working with the Music Director, direct the annual youth drama, a musical involving kids 1st -12th grade.
• Serve on the Worship Team, helping to keep children, youth and young adults active in worship and worship leadership. Help to plan and run special events like Children’s Worship and Christmas Eve Children’s Worship.
• Lead the Cherub (1st-4th), Gloria (5th-8th) and Youth (9th-12th) Choirs, in consultation with the Music Director.
• Provide programs which are fun and spiritually nurturing for families with children.
• Provide pastoral care to children, youth and young adults.
Main Core Competencies:
· Passion for Children and Youth – loves children and teenagers and understands their lives; exhibits an obvious passion for ministry with them.
· Professional and Pastoral – demonstrates appropriate professional, pastoral behavior, especially in the areas of professional boundaries and confidentiality.
· Spiritual Maturity – has a strong personal faith and active faith life; models connecting faith and life, as well as nurturance of personal spirituality.
· Mission Ownership – demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values and beliefs of CCML and the UCC; can teach those values to others; leads others in owning the same; lived commitment to inclusivity in all ways (age, race, gender, economic, social, ethnic, etc.); demonstrates commitment to progressive theology in one’s life and one’s work.
· Interpersonal Skills – demonstrates the ability to work with different kinds of people, negotiating the relationships professionally and lovingly while holding people accountable; productively engages and resolves interpersonal conflict; respects appropriate boundaries; demonstrates active listening and openly accepts criticism.
· Strong Communicator – powerful communicator in both oral and written form; able to express ideas well and achieve the goals of the communication, while giving attention to style and format.
· Able Administrator – demonstrated ability to plan and manage multiple programs, including conception, advertising, recruiting, forms, oversight, safety, logistics, record keeping, reporting and evaluation. Able to follow administrative practices necessary to interface with other staff and programs.
· Team Player – commitment to working collegially with different types of people, members and staff, for the good of the church’s ministry.
· Self-motivated and Accountable – demonstrates initiative and creativity in one’s ministry balanced with accountability; understands what the position requires and does it without prodding but also seeks guidance and feedback from supervisor and church leadership.
Other Desired Qualifications:
• A working understanding of human development.
• Must pass a background check.
• Experience in primary/secondary education or other work with children and youth.
• Ordination or MID status, preferred but not required.
· Conference Guidelines for ordained individuals;
· Competive cash salary for lay or ordination track individuals.
The Community Church of Mountain Lakes is an historic United Church of Christ congregation in verdant Morris County. We are about transforming lives and transforming the world in which we live. We start with inspiring worship on Sunday morning and then offer supportive relationships, activities and programs for all ages and all interests, all week long. At CCML there are many reasons to be and stay engaged. CCML is more than Sunday mornings.
Reply with references and resume to:
The Community Church of Mountain Lakes, 48 Briarcliff Road, Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046 or email to email@example.com.